"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."

Interested in Sponsoring? Check out our PR Policy below

Sign up for Swagbucks to earn extra entries, as well as gift cards & more! Use this link: Swagbucks!

Do you love when your house smells good? I sell Scentsy!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mama will be back in the Morning

Last Sunday night was a first.  I went to book club & left B at home with his daddy.  Not just at home, but awake. At night. That's the first. I normally put B down & go late to book club or whatever event I have (doesn't happen but once a month or so), but on Saturday I will be gone from around 3:30pm until early morning on Sunday.  Because of this, we used Sunday as a 'trial run'.

It did not go well.  At least not at first.

I left at 7pm.  I gave kisses & waves & B waved back.  I was so nervous, I hit my rear view mirror on the garage door (shh, don't tell my husband!).  Our plan was for Mike to just go through the bedtime routine & then offer a bottle (yes, a bottle, even at 15 months old) of almond milk or a bottle of water (I suggested he have both ready).  Apparently, it didn't work like we'd hoped.  Mike texted me around 8:15, saying 'he's not happy... wouldn't drink either & has been crying for 3 minutes with his seahorse on."  We decided to let him be for a bit, since obviously he wasn't going to calm down with water or almond milk.  I'm sure it was hard for him to comprehend that I wasn't there- I'm always there, especially at bedtime.

A little later they called me.  B was saying "mama, mama!" Apparently he made Mike (by pointing) show him every room to prove that I wasn't there.  They even looked in the garage, where my car wasn't.

By 9:19, he was asleep.  Relief! Mike just let him hang out for a bit & then he snuggled in & acted as though he'd sleep, so Mike put him down.  Now, he did wake up at 12:50am, & I nursed him back to sleep... so we're still not in the clear for Saturday, but we'll give it a try.  I'll be in Chicago for a bachelorette party & B will be at home with his grandparent's.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Wow! I ditched Cubby for bedtime MANY times before he was 15 months! AND went on a 10 day trip to Vietnam without him! It is VERY nerve-wracking at first, I agree. Even now, I'm home MOST nights for bedtime (we're still nursing). But on those rare occasions I do go out for a Mama's night out, DH does well. He ALSO has to go in every room and show Cubby that I'm gone. Then Daddy will feed him some yogurt or something and then he'll settle and go to bed... :) *keeping fingers crossed* for you that all goes well next weekend! :))

Kaylyn said...

That is such a hard transition to go through. We still struggle with it. And like you, I'm not gone very often but it makes the times when I want to go very hard. Good luck on Saturday!