"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."

Interested in Sponsoring? Check out our PR Policy below

Sign up for Swagbucks to earn extra entries, as well as gift cards & more! Use this link: Swagbucks!

Do you love when your house smells good? I sell Scentsy!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

5 Must-have Fashionable Pieces to Pack for Every Weekend Trip

Now here's something I know about.  This may be a little known fact about me... I love fashion. A lot. I rush back from the mailbox each month when InStyle is in my hand & I devour it.  I actually graduated from college with a degree in Apparel Merchandising, Design, & Production... aka fashion.  I still remember how my pulse quickened during my first class, when the instructor demanded we subscribe to Vogue, Harper's Bazaar & Women's Wear Daily as homework.  Here's something else that may or may not be well known about me.  We travel a lot.  Especially during the summer- we're constantly headed to Iowa where we pack weekends full of my hubs' brother's baseball games & boating.  These are two of Mike's most favorite things in the world.  All this traveling means packing a lot. So here it is: my list of 5 must-haves (& since I'm clearly an expert, you should totally listen to me, right?!)

First a tip: I generally decide what color scheme I'm going with & I try to stick with it for all pieces I pack... generally this means black or brown, so I can limit my shoes.  For the sake of the length of this article, I'm also sticking with summer weekends, since it's hot now, although for the most part this can be adapted for winter (boots in place of sandals, of course).

1. Comfy sandals that can be dressed up or down.  I don't just mean Old Navy rubber flip flops... I mean, cute sandals that are appropriate when you're on the boat, in a swim suit or when you're wearing shorts & a tank top.

2. Basic tank. I generally pack two- white & then black or brown (depending on that shoe decision I already made). This way I can layer under whatever else or I have a plain tank to dress up with jewelry!

3. Jewelry ... that's right. Even in summer, I wear jewelry. (Of course I do, duh! Check out my other blog for more info on that!)  I pack a few key silver (cause I prefer it to yellow gold) pieces & then a few colored pieces.  I like to mix & match, depending on what activity we're doing.

4. A great tote/handbag.  For me, this often has double duty as a diaper bag.  You see, when I go away for the weekend, it sometimes allows for the Hubs & I to get that rare date in, so I don't want to be toting my diaper bag to a restaurant when it's just the two of us.  But at the same time, I don't want to take extra bags on the trip, so it needs to be large enough to toss a diaper & snacks in. (No kids? This applies to husband's extras too... I used to refer to my handbag as "Mikey's diaper bag, cause I carried so much of my husband's stuff. Also, if you'll be shopping or whatever, this applies!)


5. One fabulous, versatile accessory... Mine is typically a scarf. Works to keep me warm, if it's a little chilly in the morning.  Helps mix it up, in case I only have that basic white tank left.  Greasy hair? Wrap the scarf around it! Think you may need it, but not sure? Tie it around that great handbag & you'll have it with you when you're shopping! My favorite way to use a scarf, as a mother- a cover up for public nursing, a cover up for that food stain that my toddler threw at me, etc, etc.  Versatility people, that's what I'm talking about!

One last fashionable piece- a positive attitude! Being away for the weekend can be stressful, if you let it, so just relax, have fun & know that you look great!

I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Gap Outlet blogging program to be eligible to win a $20 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here. Check out this link for more ideas: http://www.twittermoms.com/forum/topics/share-5-musthave-fashionable

No comments: